Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Orginal Post from Facebook that started it all...

So, I don't write a weekly blog, though now that I think about it, I surely have enough material in my insane life that I could, but I do frequently observe things that I often wonder if others see the humor, idiocy or general hypocrisy of the events, comments, actions, etc.  Therefore, I'd like to share a few things I've noticed, and I'll be sure to update.  Even if no one ever reads this, I can't wait to giggle every time I read some of these!  I am in no way trying to be rude, mean or degrading by any of the following comments, and I'm not trying to piss anyone off.  Sometimes people just need to be reminded or made aware.

Topic One:  Grammar Faus Pas
Seriously, please don't show your ignorance by misusing words you should have learned in elementary school.  I can appreciate how confusing the not-so-general use of commas and other forms of punctuation can be, so I won't really hold that against you.  We all make mistakes and have the occasional typo.  On that note, there are some things that are not acceptable. 

  • TOO: (Adverb) meaning in addition, also.  TO: most commonly used as a preposition, rarely used as an adverb (so it's better not to try) and if you say things like "to and fro," which I doubt you do, then that's an idiom. TWO:  2. Enough said.
  • AT is a preposition.  Please don't end sentences in prepositions. "Where are you?" doesn't require an "at" at the end.
  • THEY'RE: Contraction of they are.  The end.  THEIR: is a possessive pronoun as in "their school." Oh, and this is one case where the "I" is not before the "E." THERE: mostly an adverb, but if you want specifics visit http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/there . Basically it's everything that's not possessive or "they are."
  • People say "Congrats" because the word is spelled: C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S.

We all know there are many more, but hopefully if you read any of that it has brought the issue to the forefront of your mind and, you are a little more aware.

Topic Two:  Facebook
Statuses:
  • In all seriousness, no one cares what you made your husband/self for breakfast, lunch or dinner EVERY day, but if you have a great recipe or dinner was really awesome, and you feel the need to share THAT, then by all means, be our guest.
  • I get that we all have bad days, but if your status is always negative, you might want to evaluate your life and really decide if what you're doing is worth all of the negativity and stress in your life.
 Relationship statuses:
  • Many experts suggest you leave this item completely off your profile, but let's be real here... if you're single and interested in dating, then leaving this off is possibly misleading and confusing.  Just saying.
  • HOWEVER... if you put "In a Relationship" on Facebook and the person you're supposed to be "in a relationship" with has an account and doesn't link his/her relationship status to yours and remains "Single" or without a status at all, this should also tell you something.  Wake up.

 *Note*  I'm seriously laughing at the people that just "corrected" this in the day since I posted this note. ;)



Topic Three: Dumb Girls and That Guy  I will clarify this later.

Women in general are nurturing creatures, and in general like to believe they can "help" or "fix" people in their lives and relationships.  Every woman has "tried to fix it," and every guy at least considers being "that guy" until he meets the right girl.  By "that guy," I mean the guy that thinks he can have any girl he wants and frequently cheats or tries to cheat on the woman in his life that (as previously stated) cares so much about him she really thinks she can "fix the relationship."  Always has and always will.  The moral of the story: don't.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, there's a good chance you've done it and don't even realize.  Trust me.  Your friends know.

Topic Four:  Football
I love football.  No really, I'm actually one of those girls that understands it and will watch games that have nothing to do with my teams.  I would just like to point out that football is just a game.  Don't cry about it.  Don't be completely obnoxious about it. If your favorite team's players can get penalties for being "a bad sport," why do you think it's ok to be a jerk toward another team/fan?


Topic Five:  Thank you.
If someone gives you a gift, thank them.  Handwritten notes are still appreciated and proper etiquette, but if you have no intention of writing one, the very least you could do is TELL the person how much you appreciate them thinking of you.  Most people work hard for their money, and if they made the gift they likely thought hard about it and spent time on it.


Topic Six:  The Double Negative
** Discussion Paused**

No comments:

Post a Comment