Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My journey to here...

A few weeks ago I entertained the idea of writing a blog and wrote a "note" on Facebook.  If it weren't for a few close friends, I wouldn't be starting one now.  I love to write.  Always have, and I've been told I have a way with words, and one day I'll write a book.  The hold up on the book has always been I have never been able to decide what I wanted to write about first because I want whatever I write to change someone's life... even if it's just one person's.  So, I'm just going to start here until I get to a point in my life where I know how to inspire that person with enough words to fill a book.

In high school I wrote a newspaper column with one of my best friends basically calling people out on things we found to be unacceptable.  Maybe it was a little bitchy, but it was always true, and that's how we rolled.  As I wrote my first "blog" entry on Facebook, I thought about that column and smiled.  We wrote about whatever came to mind and shared our opinions on  topics ranging from girls that wore clothes that were way too tight to school rules.  If I knew where I put those articles, I'd repost them here because I promise they were witty, pithy and totally worth the read even though they were written by 17 year olds.  We were very wise for our age if I may say so myself.

I started this blog with the hope of sharing what I have to offer, and hopefully some of it will turn out to be entertaining, too.  I have no idea what I'll end up writing about here because I tend to loosely associate as I'm sure if you read past this you're bound to see.  I plan to dedicate this blog to things I love, people that have changed my life whether they knew it or not, great books, the adventure of life and the things that inspire me.  I hope you'll read on, and I'm more than open to suggestions, comments and requests.  It's also likely that a lot of this will be written during late hours when I can't sleep, so if you see grammatical mistakes, I welcome the corrections because I am a grammar Nazi, and I would be heartbroken if I were to make the same mistakes I abhor without realizing because I was too exhausted to catch my mistakes.

I imagine some of the people that read this will know me very well and possibly will have known me for a great deal of my life.  Some however may not know me as well or for as long.  On that note, here's a little about who I am today and why.  My mother told me once "Never accept the unacceptable," and it's been my motto ever since, but that hasn't always been true.  A lot of the things I say and how I react to situations tend to be because I've made the mistakes, witnessed them or can logically reason why I think they are mistakes.  In high school, I was voted "Most Dependable," and in college I essentially earned the same title.  I like being that person.  If I say I'm going to do something, I will, and I'm a firm believer in the economic theory of the preference scale.  My life has taken me in a lot of different directions.  Some of these changing points stand out starkly in my memory while others were such a gradual change I have to struggle through the string of decisions that brought me there to see how point A got me to point Z.  I decided as a Sophomore in high school where I was going to college, and I had no reason behind my decision.  I just knew it was right.  I suicide rushed into Kappa Delta because I knew it was right.  That's how a great deal of my decisions have been made.  At this point, I have no idea where my life is going, but I'll figure it out and know it's right.  I've made a lot of good decisions, and I've hung on to a lot of bad ones for entirely too long. 

From this point on in my life though, it's all about my future, but I guess that started when I went out with my friends for my 24th birthday last year, so thanks to the guys that looked out for me, danced with me and made it one of the best nights ever.  You have no idea what you did for me.

So, this is who I am today:  I'm a college graduate, the Sponsorship Chair of the Huntsville Chapter of the Executive Women's Golf Association, the proud owner of a Hungarian Vizsla that is way too smart for her own good, a Conservative Republican, a wannabe runner, a thankful daughter and a grateful friend.  I love Chinese food, the color turquoise, a good book, captivating television shows and movies worth watching 'til the end.  I could live on chocolate, would kill for my friends and passionately love every holiday from my birthday to Mardi Gras.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your first post, but I adore this post much more. I knew you as a child and I now I look forward to knowing you as an adult. Great read. Love and AOT.

    ReplyDelete